Sunday, April 26, 2009

NYU wireless/VPN on linux

I use Fedora on my laptop and I had tough time configuring NYU wireless in it. I found three procedures, of which I tried hard with the first one but Couldn't get it working. It was for Ubuntu but I thought I might give it a try. Here it is.

Approach 1 :
First off you'll need to get the Verisign Root CA certificate:
1.Go to https://getca.verisign.com/ and download the current Root CA Certificate. It downloads for me as 'getrootcert.cer'.
2.Convert the .cer file to a .pem file:
openssl x509 -in getrootcert.cer -inform d -out verisign.pem

3.Save verisign.pem wherever you want (/etc/ssl/certs would make sense).
4.You need to go to the network manager (usually on the top bar) where you select wireless networks, click the left mouse button and select 'connect to other wireless network'.
5.Select 'WPA2 Enterprise' for a 'Wireless Security', and a whole bunch of new options will appear.
Network Name is 'nyu'
EAP Method is PEAP
Key Type: Automatic (or, I believe AES)
Phase2 Type is MSCHAPv2
Identity is you NYU NetID (eg. js123 -- don't include the @nyu.edu )
Password is your NetID password.
Anonymous Identity, Client Certificate File, Private Key File, and Private Key Password should be left blank.
6.For CA (Certifying Authority, I guess) Certificate file use the verisign.pem file.
It should work fine.



Approach 2:(NYU VPN)

After a while I found second one.I got this thing working in first attempt but the problem is we never know when will NYU-ITS will shut off NYU-Roam3.Here is the procedure.

1.Connect to NYU-ROAM3.
2.Create a VPN connection using cisco VPN.
3.Gateway : vpn.nyu.edu
4.Group name : nyu-vpn
5.User password : NYU net ID password
6.Group password : nyu-net
7.User : NYU net ID

For ubuntu:
Install vpnc and network-manager-vpnc using synaptic first.



Approach 3:

Simplest of all.
1. Get guest username and password from library.
2. Connect to NYU-GUEST.
3. Put that username and password.

But dont get too excited, this user name and password is changed every Monday.

No comments:

Post a Comment